About the Hardin County Historical Society


The Hardin County Historical Society exists to study, preserve, and disseminate information about the history of Hardin County. This is accomplished primarily through quarterly meetings, promotion of historic publications for sale, and by publishing a quarterly newsletter called Bits and Pieces of Hardin County History.

Hardin County Historical Society is a non-profit organization that originated in 1931. In its 78th year of existence, the Society was once housed in the historic Brown-Pusey House. The house had a colorful history during the Civil War and then provided residence for General George Custer and his wife when he was stationed here from 1871-1873. The house remains a popular place for weddings, parties, and other gatherings.

Currently, the Society hosts its meetings at the Historic State Theater.  Recent accomplishments of the Society include playing an instrumental role in the 2003 opening of the Hardin County History Museum.  The building on the corner of West Dixie Avenue and Mulberry Street was originally built as a U.S. Post Office in 1932.